College receives funding to improve research programs for Onondaga Lake

Illustration by Tony Chao | Art Director

SUNY-ESF will receive $20 million to create an education center to improve research on one of the country’s most polluted lakes.

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, as well as LeMoyne College, Onondaga Community College and several other partners will receive the $20 million grant to develop the SUNY Water Research and Education Center at Onondaga Lake.

The funding comes from the NYSUNY 2020 Challenge Grant Program, which awarded $55 million dollars in research and education grants last Tuesday. The purpose of this grant, which was established in 2011, is to facilitate economic growth as well as strengthen and improve academic and research programs in New York, according to a SUNY-ESF press release.

“Onondaga Lake is a textbook example of what restoration ecology is all about,” SUNY-ESF President Quentin Wheeler said in an email.

Scientists from SUNY-ESF and OCC, in partnership with the Great Lakes Research Consortium, will analyze the ecosystem of the lake, focusing on lake restoration and water quality monitoring.

“It’s an environmental success story that will be studied for generations, and a metaphor for the revitalization of central New York,” Wheeler said. “ESF deeply appreciates the support of SUNY and Gov. (Andrew) Cuomo in this investment that will extend our reach and impact into the community.”

The project will build a 34,000-square-feet LEED gold building on the shore of Onondaga Lake, according to the SUNY-ESF press release. The short-term economic impact of the Water Research and Education Center is projected to be $37 million and it will create 532 temporary jobs. The long-term economic impact is estimated to be $11 million annually, and the project is expected to create 186 permanent jobs, according to the release.

Cuomo said in a press release that one of the goals of the NYSUNY 2020 grant program is to leverage private sector investments and create jobs and partnerships between schools and their surrounding communities.

“In today’s world, colleges and universities are more than just classrooms — they’re economic engines that are creating jobs and training the workforce of tomorrow,” he said.

The SUNY 2020 program was launched to support advanced research opportunities and the five projects chosen this year demonstrate how this strategy is helping create new opportunities in New York, Cuomo said in the release.

“Today’s SUNY 2020 awards are an investment in our State’s future, and I look forward to seeing each of these innovative projects grow the economy for years to come,” he said in the release.

SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher said in the press release from the governor’s office that the SUNY 2020 program is helping SUNY as a whole.

“SUNY 2020 awards and START-UP NY are building SUNY’s research infrastructure, improving the business climate and producing unparalleled educational and career opportunities for our students,” she said.

Wheeler said SUNY-ESF has long-term studies of Onondaga Lake underway and will continue to monitor the advances of the water quality and diversity of life in the lake.

The grant is an opportunity to work closely with a variety of schools and institutions to “teach principles of ecology while monitoring and celebrating the rebirth of a truly beautiful lake,” he said.