Culture

Apple Festival packs Quad, promotes healthy eating

The smell of hot apples, freshly roasted nuts and popped kettle corn filled the air as the annual Syracuse University Apple Festival packed the Quad on Friday.

Organized by the Department of Recreation Services in partnership with SU Food Services, Apple Fest gave students the opportunity to enjoy a variety of local foods, shop at vendors’ stands, talk to student organizations and participate in a two-mile run around campus.

Over 20 organizations and vendors were in attendance, including Gannon’s Isle Ice Cream, Fudge By Angels, and Grandma’s & Grandpa’s Kettlecorn & Lemon Blizzard. Many of the booths used free samples, prize wheels and interactive games to gain students’ attention.

For some students, Apple Fest was a much-anticipated event. Ashley Dixon, a sophomore nutrition major, said Apple Fest had been marked on her calendar for a long time.

“I like organic related things,” Dixon said after buying maple-roasted cashews. “I like to eat healthy things that have an interesting taste (and) that are different.”

Many student organizations from the Office of Health Promotion also set up booths to spread awareness about health-related issues.

Dixon, a member of Sex-Esteem, used the Apple Fest as a way to promote healthy living.

“It gives us a chance to get out here and show all of these things that coincide with one’s health,” Dixon said.

Vendors took the opportunity to sell and introduce their unique products to students who may not have heard about them outside of campus. Harry Curley, a retired General Electric engineer turned grape jelly maker, said he enjoyed interacting with students at the festival.

“It’s a beautiful setup here,” Curley said. “I make all the grape jelly myself. I pluck every grape myself and pour every jar. I get them all over the county—they are wild. It does wonders to peanut butter and jelly.”

This year marked the third year that Grindstone Farm market manager Kim Austin has participated in Apple Fest. She said every year she hears students complain about the lack of organic food options on campus, and that she notices how excited they are to see the variety of organic fruits and vegetables she sells as a representative of the farm.

While Apple Fest generated it’s fair share of buzz, some visitors were caught off guard while expecting a routine walk across the Quad.

Sophomore television, radio and film major Charlotte Balogh was unaware of the Apple Fest, but said she was happily surprised when she and her friends walked onto the Quad.

“We saw the inflatable, and I was like, ‘Oh my God,’ so we came, and I am loving all of the free samples and local vendor apparel. It’s wonderful,” Balogh said. “We don’t have anything like this back home.”