Letters to the Editor

A letter from Dean Kantrowitz

First, I wish to express my admiration for those who participated in Wednesday’s rally for consent.  It was heartening to see students, faculty and staff come together to rally around the need to support survivors of sexual and relationship violence and end rape culture.  I was appreciative of the information distributed directing students to the Sexual and Relationship Violence Response Team at the Counseling Center, which offers students the highest degree of privacy and control over their lives as they seek confidential and privileged support, crisis response and advocacy, 24/7, 365 days a year.  This support is offered by staff who are experienced, trained and licensed, and have been working with our students in this capacity for many years.  I encourage all students to review the information on these support services at srvresponse.syr.edu.

I also wish to reassure students the following:

— as a University community dedicated to education and prevention, all prevention and educational student groups and programs that were affiliated with the Advocacy Center remain intact, including Sex-Esteem, Mentors in Violence Prevention and e5m, along with Take Back the Night and Got Consent.

— significant financial and human resources were added to acquire the most experienced staff, provide comprehensive training and enhance educational programs.  A broader Got Consent awareness campaign, expanded Empowered Bystander trainings and a speaker series have all been added.

Please know that Chancellor Kent Syverud, colleagues in student affairs and I all value the feedback and ideas that have been shared throughout the summer and at the rally.  We have faith in the faculty, staff and students who have agreed to serve on the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Sexual Violence Prevention, Education and Advocacy.  Several of those on the Workgroup attended the rally and I am confident they heard the concerns raised and will take to heart their charge to identify critical gaps in service and support and propose a set of recommendations for further improving the campus and community culture as it relates to sexual and relationship violence.

As someone who cares deeply about the experience of our students, has worked closely with students and staff on these issues for more than 30 years and is a parent, know that I will continue to work with this community to create a culture that values and respects one another and is free from all types of sexual violence.

Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz
Senior Vice President and Dean
Division of Student Affairs