Editorial Board

Party school ranking should not define time at SU

Incoming students should realize that Syracuse University’s No. 1 party school ranking is just a reflection of multiple facets of student life and should work to maintain balance during their freshman years.

The Princeton Review based its ranking of SU as the No. 1 party school on student responses to survey questions about alcohol and drug use, the popularity of Greek life and the number of hours spent studying. Though many current students were proud that the Princeton Review named SU as No. 1, administration reacted to the ranking with disapproval. Chancellor Syverud sent out an email on Aug. 5 expressing his disappointment saying, “It is not a good thing for a school to be labeled as number one in partying.”

While some freshmen might feel pressured to live up to the party school ranking,the incoming class should come to SU with the mindset that while the “party culture” is big component of campus life, there needs to be a balance between work and play.

The top party school ranking doesn’t need to be the anthem of freshman year. Incoming freshmen should enjoy their social lives without letting the ranking detract from the academic aspects of SU. In addition to its No. 1 party school ranking, Syracuse was also named fourth for “Top Entrepreneurial Programs,” No. 5 for “Best College Radio,” and secondbehind Yale University for “Best College Newspaper.”

Incoming freshmen should also realize that students have a lot of things to celebrate at SU, and drinking and partying are just some facets of the university social life. SU was ranked No. 3 for “Students Pack the Stadium,” and school spirit plays a major role in how students celebrate. Last spring, “I’m Shmacked,” a YouTube series that documents college parties, visited Syracuse University during the week of the Duke vs. SU basketball game. Although the video did show the wild parties that take place, it also captured the intense school spirit that exists at SU.

Incoming freshmen should enjoy the party school ranking and take advantage of SU’s unique social life. But in turn, they need to be aware that the next four years of their lives require balance in order to be the best four years of their lives.