Syracuse Crunch

Syracuse Crunch to host Carrier Dome’s 1st-ever ice hockey game Nov. 22

The Syracuse Crunch will host the first-ever professional hockey game in the Carrier Dome on Nov. 22, the team announced in a release that was first posted on the American Hockey League’s official website Wednesday.

The Frozen Dome Classic is set to pit the Crunch against the Utica Comets, 34 years after the Dome first opened its doors.

“On Nov. 22 (we will make) history by playing the first-ever professional hockey game in the iconic Carrier Dome,” Crunch owner Howard Dolgon said in the release, “a facility that has hosted numerous sporting and entertainment events.

“We greatly appreciate the partnership with Syracuse University and plan on doing everything we can to put on a first-class show.”

Preceding the Frozen Dome Classic will be a Syracuse vs. Utica law enforcement charity game. Additionally, a Division-III matchup between Utica College and Oswego State will follow the Crunch game.

The main event between the Crunch and Comets will continue to grow the rivalry between the two teams, according to the release.

“The Comets are not only excited, but honored to participate on such an iconic stage,” said Comets team president Rob Esche. “We look forward to furthering our rivalry with the Syracuse Crunch.”

The rink will be set up in the same way as the basketball court, according to the release, which also noted that the Dome will still be able to seat more than 30,000 fans.

“We are always looking for events to place in the Carrier Dome that capture the community spirit, and this is clearly one that we believe will,” SU Director of Athletics Daryl Gross said in the release. “(We are) thrilled to host what is sure to be a spectacular day of ice hockey.”