Culture

Thirsty Thursday: Flower Power IPA

Nicole Abrams | Staff Photographer

The Flower Power IPA boasts both a floral undertone and a refreshing aftertaste with hints of herbs and mint.

It has been my pleasure to sample a variety of beers this semester, and though it may seem like an easy job, I took it very seriously.

Up until now I made an effort to taste beers from all walks of life: stouts, lagers, porters and even an organic wheat ale. With my final stab at a beer review, I unabashedly chose my favorite beer: Ithaca Brewing Company’s Flower Power India Pale Ale.

IPAs will always be my favorite kind of beer. They’re hoppy, flavorful and usually have high alcohol content, all of which make for an enjoyable drinking experience.

My search for the perfect IPA was long and arduous. My go-to move has always been asking the bartender, “What IPAs do you have on tap?” whenever I’m at the bar. So when the kind gentleman at Al’s Wine & Whiskey Lounge in downtown Syracuse suggested Flower Power, I heeded his advice.

Boy, am I glad I did. The ale was delivered to me in a pint glass that I have since learned is called a “nonic” pint glass — think of a typical pint glass that bulges slightly near the top. It had a tall, off-white foam head and the beer was a cloudy amber color.

The Flower Power IPA is undoubtedly one of the most flavorful and unique-tasting beers I have had the pleasure to enjoy. It has a citrusy and earthy vibe, but not in the way that other beers taste citrusy. The aftertaste introduces hints of herbs and even a minty taste, which is refreshingly delicious.

Staying true to its name, the Flower Power IPA has floral undertone in both its smell and taste. I’m not sure which species — I don’t typically consume flowers — but it’s the perfect flavor for springtime.

The best part about Ithaca Brewing Company’s Flower Power IPA is its abundance. You can find six packs of the wonderful beer all around Syracuse, so even if you’ve been missing out until now, you can always join the party as a late bloomer.