Miller emerges as front-runner at center

John Miller has emerged as the front-runner at the center position for Syracuse.

The rising junior began taking first-team snaps at center on April 6, allowing Rob Trudo to shift back to left guard where he started all of last season. And in the last week and a half, Miller’s helped the offense maintain a more consistent flow in practice.

“It’s been like, ‘Wow, this kid’s really good,‘” SU offensive coordinator George McDonald said. “Enabling him to move over to center allows us to put Trudo at a more comfortable position and allows us to keep the continuity of the line we had last year somewhat intact.”

McDonald and quarterbacks coach Tim Lester both called Miller a natural center, with snapping as his clear strength. Lester recalled Trudo having difficulty placing his shotgun snaps, especially early this spring when he was first transitioning into the position.

They came high, low, left and right — often leaving the quarterback in an awkward position.

“When you’re trying to hand it to the guy standing to your right and the ball is literally snapped to the running back,” Lester said, “you put your hand in his belly to catch it, no one knows what to do at that point.”

SU head coach Scott Shafer said the job isn’t Miller’s yet, but he’ll start at center in the Spring Game on Saturday.