Culture

Get jiggy with it: Dancing competition celebrates city’s ties to Irish culture

Courtesy of Megan Hickey Miller

The 23rd annual Central New York Feis will be held this Saturday at the New York State Fairgrounds. More than 1,200 dancers will compete.

From the city’s celebrated citywide Irish Festival, to the time Irish youths first made their mark on a now upside-down traffic light in Tipperary Hill, Syracuse’s deep Irish roots make it the perfect location for the annual Central New York Feis.

Entering its 23rd year, the Irish dancing competition will be held this Saturday in the Horticulture building at the New York State Fairgrounds. Beginning at 8:30 a.m., competitors from across the U.S. and Canada will compete on eight different stages for individual and team awards.

Feis committee chair Megan Hickey Miller began her involvement in the festival as a competitor. Her father worked closely with a group of people who were passionate about Irish dancing in order to establish a festival in Central New York. The festival is named after Bob Gabor, one of the original founders who helped spread the popularity of Irish dancing within the area as well as around the country.

“A group of parents, including my father, wanted to provide the opportunity for dancers in the Central New York area to be able to compete at more local events because there was only one other Feis in the area at that time,” Miller said.

That same group of parents can be proud of the event’s success — now one of the largest in the area. The competition now hosts 1,200 dancers, 20 judges and 12 musicians.

“People come from all over the Northeast and Canada and we have had dancers travel from as far as California to compete. Because we are a larger competition, it is competitive group of dancers,” Miller said.

Feis, pronounced “fresh” in Gaelic, is the modern common term for Irish dancing competitions. A traditional Feis festival includes dancing alongside art displays, Gaelic food and Irish football. In addition to Irish dancing, theatrical performances and bagpipe presentations serve as a method to tell stories and legends to a large audience.

Now, the tradition carries on, celebrating the dedication and talent of Irish dancers at the heart of the Syracuse event. Awards will be given for first, second and third places, as well as those in the preliminary and championship rounds.

The Central New York Feis will also include art, music and soda bread competitions, as well as a variety of local vendors selling Irish dancing apparel, crafts and cultural items.

In addition to the honor of placing in the top three spots, winners will receive handmade pottery items made by Kate Kavanagh of Kate’s Functional Pottery. Kavanagh’s business is centered in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, and she often inscribes her bowls and mugs with traditional Celtic trinity knots.

Miller added that the award of this unique handmade pottery makes the festival stand out among other festivals in the area.

The expansion of the Central New York Feis over the past 23 years has marked an increase in the quality of the event — something that everyone with a little Irish blood in their veins can be proud of.

“The caliber of dancing at this event is really amazing to watch,” Miller said. “We have dancers who recently returned from London, where they competed in the World Championships for Irish dancing, and it is a chance to view this right here in Syracuse.”