career development

Facebook COO to web-chat with students on April 24

Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg will speak to Syracuse University students via webcam on April 24 at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center.

Sandberg’s webcast will be part of a leadership panel hosted by PricewaterhouseCoopers, according to an email sent to undergraduates in the School of Information Studies. The panel will focus on career development and gender differences in the workplace. Sandberg and PricewaterhouseCoopers employees will answer questions about job-hunting tips, salary negotiations and success after college. Students will have to RSVP to the event by April 17.

In 2013, Sandberg published her book, “Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead.” It sparked controversy and conversation across the country about gender differences in roles at work, home and in society.

Alexis Madison, a senior information management and technology major, said she saw the email about Sandberg speaking and “screamed” in excitement. She said she has already RSVP’d to the event.

“She’s the COO of Facebook and I’m a technology major and I want to eventually work my way up into the higher level of the technology industry,” Madison said. “It’s great to hear from someone who has been in my steps as an undergraduate and will give lots of advice.”

Madison said she most admires how Sandberg focuses on the role of women in technology but doesn’t make it seem like men shouldn’t be leaders.

Said Madison: “She very much wants it to be an equal playing field. As someone who’s going to be brand new in the industry and not know much about how I should be treated or what to expect, I personally am looking forward to hearing her experiences.”